The smell of getting close
This is the result of three days of work. I did some fine sanding on the pickguard and then began to reverse paint the image on the plexiglas. This means painting on the side that is mounted to the guitar. The spider was painted first: Several coats of crimson red with two coats of white behind it. Then the black background was added using a small roller. I probly went a little overkill on this part- but i coated the back at least 5 times with the black paint.
All of these steps were first tested on scrap plexiglas to make sure I wasn't going to screw up. I sped the process of drying with a small travel hair dryer. It was important to make sure the layers were very dry before recoating... Pulling up a chuck of the spider with the roller would probly have made me cry. The entire painting process took around 3 hours.
The next morning I cut some tinfoil to fit across the VOL, TUNE, 'and switch thingy' as i saw on the orignal pickguard. This is to ground the switches. I grabed some spay adhesive and applyed the tinfoil. Then with a penknife (somthing I have fallen in love with over this project) i cut out the screw holes and knob holes of extra tinfoil. Store bought.
Also I stained neck around this time. I used some ebony stain i picked up at home depot. This was a premixed can (not tinted) so it showed the beautiful grain better. That also ment i got several hundred times more than i needed.
I marked off the fretboard and frets from the neck with blue painters tape. It took two coats for the neck to get to the proper color. I lightly sanded the stained wood with a brown paper bag to remove any grain rise. Then after 36 hours I lacquered the neck twice in 2 hours, far sooner than the directions indicated. It was very dry and warm so the lacquer dried in half the perscribed time. Again a brown paper bag removed grain rise after the 2 coats.
I will not be recoated the neck again... Seems that it is traditional to keep it a thin coat (one that with enough use can be rubbed off). Should that happen, just another thin coat of Minwax will fix it. Minwax can be reaplyed over old coats with out stripping.