Sunday, May 14, 2006



So, still raining. And still sanding. I sanded only for an hour this time, trying to get that laminate (or wood glue) coating off the top.

I used a dremel for the details- went faster than i thought, but i was deathly afraid i would make a grove too deep too soon. I got lucky.

Thats a photograph of my 'work shop'. I back my dads car out and sand for a while.
I've been sanding some more, its
still raining so i backed my dads car out of the garage. Its 40 F out, so my hands are a little numb. Took me an hour and a half again to get to the point you see in the photograph. I plan to use a dremel to get the fine detail around those stupid metal peg things. It also apears that there may be a thin laminite, or it could be some more of the sealent comming off. I discovered a seam (viewable in my crappy photograph). I dont think it will be noticable once I've sanded more.

Also, i realized that I wasn't done sanding on the back. I have to sand till i get saw dust instead of white powder. Sounds obvious right? There appears to be a sealing coat underneath the black paint- that surprised me.

Looks like I get the prividge of sanding for the rest of my life on this thing.
My hours thus far:
  • sanding: 1.5 hours (2x)
  • research: 1 hour
  • dissasembly: 1 hour


So as far as designs go, I've been thinking about it quite a bit. Its a pretty expensive canvas. I've drafted up one design on paper, but it was just to get my juices flowing so I wont show it here.

This one was created in photoshop, I really want some of that amazing wood to shine through in the finished product. Also I think it needs spiderwebs, probly painted on using some silver/metalic shine paint. Its a pity you cant see the mahogany wood grain in this image. Just pretend its there :D.

Saturday, May 13, 2006


It's still raining, so I'm looking into a permenent way to give my guitar a unique sound. Here are the links I've been reading for some ideas.


We'll I've started sanding. This is going to take a while. I've been standing in my driveway with a hand held power sander, 100 grit paper, and an air compresser. It took me an hour and a half to get the finish off the back. I choose to start on the back because I figured that would be the best spot to screw up. I use the compresser to get the nasty finish dust away.

This is going to take a while. I think I'll dremel the fine detailes. I wish it wasn't raining!
I've got the guitar dissasembled, and I was surprised how little is in a guitar. It was easyer (and less tricky) to take all the panels off. I figured the neck would be difficult but that proved to be wrong.

Betcha thats a bitch to get back on and *blah blah* set up right. I found out that the duel pick up thingy had an easy fix. The srew holding the pick ups in had become... unscrewed. So i screw it back togeather and then realize that if you tip the guitar upsides down, they would touch the springs.

On one of the magnets inside, i found a brass colored spring- so i put it between the faceplate and the pick up's screw thread... thingy. One sides good- what to do about the other? I cheated big time. It looked just like a bic pen spring... so thats what i used.

I only had to cut three wires out, one was a ground to the metal block that holds the string in, and the other two were to the cord jack. Those three will be easy to fix with an soldering iron.

I









You can see that the guitar is in fairly good shape, with the exception of the crooked pick up... thing. I am not a muscian, I sing in a High School Choir (which I failed last semester). I choose a guitar as a 'unique canvas'. So I'm learing as I go along.

A few chips in the paint were not a problem for me, this guitar is an ibanez which i bought of a classmate for 50$.
I bought a 50$ used guitar, and this will cronicle my deconstruction, restoration, and modification of it.

Enjoy!